Wednesday 27 November 2013

Day Twenty Seven

New York City, 2004.

I have two boys, 5 and 3.

Take them to the Toys R Us in Times Square.  It has a Ferris wheel.

Guys, you can each choose one toy, anything you want in the whole store.

Husband looks at me like I need a lobotomy with love and sunshine in his heart and says what the f did you just do oh sweetie you are so generous and kind.

Don't worry I reassure him.

Watch this.

One kid took a Spider-Man keychain.

The other a pack of Pokemon cards.

No one asked for the giant stuffed gorilla or the Star Wars Lego extravaganza.

How did I know it would work?

Because I think the vast majority of the time it's the little things that make us the happiest.

So, on this eve of Hannukah and Thanksgiving, let's remember to appreciate all the small things that give us the greatest happiness.

(Plus, as my grandma used to say, the smallest blue boxes contain the best gifts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment