Friday 8 March 2013

The Art of Complaining Effectively: Book Excerpt

When my boys were little, I read an article about how the best predictor of academic success for boys is the amount of reading they do during the summer.

Raced to the public library on a Saturday.

Noticed how under-funded and under-resourced the local library is compared to public libraries in other cities I have lived in.  Felt mildly depressed, pushed ahead.

Got to counter.

Clerk would not let us check out the books.

Library members?

Yes.

Live in district?

Yes.

Apparently, paper work requirements had changed since our last visit.

Paper work that could only be verified during business hours.

Can we take out the books and then coordinate paperwork on Monday?

No.

Can we put the books on hold and come get them once paper work is completed?

No.

So you are saying there is absolutely no way we can take these books home because it's Saturday?

That is correct.

Tears welled up in my eyes.

I hate taking No for an answer.

I was not particularly calm.

I was not particularly composed.

May have possibly slammed books on the table and stormed out shreiking at the top of my lungs muttering under my breath.

Want to know what happened next?

 

1. Invite me to speak at your event and all attendees will get free copies of the book
2. Attend event where I am speaking, and as an attendee you will get a free copy of the book
3. Pre-order for shipping on March 17
4. Order any time after March 17 for immediate shipping

Yes we ship anywhere in the world.

Yes we can gift wrap.

I hope you are as excited about this as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment